Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Google Docs vs. Microsoft Office Live Workspace

I used to share documents with my colleges and friends, using emails to send the files. This is inefficient because you can easily create a parallel version or lost track of the file. For this issue there is a solution: Google Docs. A versatile option to share documents for free, allowing you to edit them online.

Google Docs now has a competitor, Microsoft Office Live Workspace. Like SharePoint, you can share documents and manage versions. I made this chart to compare some of the features I already tested in both. I will continue comparing them.

FeaturesGoogle DocsMS Office Live Workspace
Allow edit documents without installed softwareYesNo
Integration with MSOfficeNoYes, installing a plug-in
VersioningYesYes
Collaborative workYesYes
Available mobile (Symbian)Yes, read onlyNo (web browser no compatible)
Web BrowsersIE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari (mobile)IE, Firefox

No comments: