Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fear

Everybody always tell me that I should feel fear. World is dangerous, people are mean and Murphy is the law.

But years ago I found an excerpt from a poem of Rainer Maria Rilke:

Denn es ist nicht die Trägheit allein, welche macht, daß die menschlichen Verhältnisse sich so unsäglich eintönig und unerneut von Fall zu Fall wiederholen, es ist die Scheu vor irgendeinem neuen, nicht absehbaren Erlebnis, dem man sich nicht gewachsen glaubt.

Aber nur wer auf alles gefaßt ist, wer nichts, auch das Rätselhafteste nicht, ausschließt, wird die Beziehung zu einem andren als etwas Lebendiges leben und wird selbst sein eigenes Dasein ausschöpfen.

English:

For it is not inertia alone that is responsible for human relationships repeating themselves from case to case, indescribably monotonous and unrenewed: it is the fear of any sort of new, unforeseeable experience with which one does not think oneself able to cope.

But only someone who is ready for everything, who excludes nothing, not even the most enigmatical will live the relation to another as something alive, even out of his own existence.
That was the day that I chose live without fear. I started to take risks, measuring the consequences. I took decisions that would change the course of my life and that is how I rule my days.

I decided to live.

No comments: